Types of personal information collected
The Personal Information the Company collects about You will depend on the manner in which You access or use the Website or any content on or through the Website and may include:
▪ Your and Your child’s name, age, or contact information, such as Your mailing address, telephone number, or email address, or other similar information associated with You;
▪ Your location, time-zone setting, network information, device type, browser type and version, browser plug-in types and version, operating system and platform, language, standard web log data, and IP address used to connect Your computer to the Internet or other similar identifier, or the equipment You use to access or use the Website and usage details;
▪ Data on the pages, services, or content You access or use on or through the Website, including the amount of time You spend on certain pages, products or services You viewed or searched for, clickstreams to, through, and from the Website, page response times, downloads and download errors, page interactions, or methods used to browse away from the Website;
▪ Billing or account information, payment information, if applicable; and
▪ Any other Personal Information that You choose to submit to us.
The Website and any content provided on or through the Website is not directed to any person who is not the legal age of majority under applicable law. The Company will not knowingly collect Personal Information from any person who is not the legal age of majority under applicable law.
Methods for collecting personal information
Information Provided to the Company by You
Personal Information the Company collects from You on or through the Website and as a result of Your access to or use of the Website or any content on or through the Website may include Personal Information You provide the Company directly, for example by:
▪ Submitting, posting, publishing, displaying, or otherwise transmitting user generated content;
▪ Filling in forms, making search queries, or corresponding with the Company on or through the Website, or otherwise communicating with the Company by any means including by phone, email, or other electronic messaging; or
▪ If applicable or available through or on the Website: creating or registering for an account; subscribing, purchasing, or requesting information on a service or product; entering a contest or promotion; or otherwise engaging with the Company through interaction points that might exist from time-to-time between You and the Company.
Information Collected by the Company Through Technological Means
The Company may also use the following technologies
– “Cookies” which are small files placed on the hard drive of Your computer. You can turn off cookies using Your internet browser but doing so may limit or remove certain parts of the Website, certain content on the Website, or the functionality of the Website;
– “Web beacons”, “tags”, and “pixels” which are electronic files used to record information about how you browse the Site;
– “Log files” that track actions occurring on the Site, and collect data including your IP address, browser type, Internet service provider, referring/exit pages, and date/time stamps)
In order to collect information, some of which may be Personal Information, about:
▪ The device or equipment You use, including information about Your computer or mobile device, internet connection, IP address, operating system, and browser type; or
▪ Your browsing activities and patterns, including information about Your visits to the Website such as traffic data, location data, logs, and other similar communication data.
This information helps the Company improve the Website and the content available on or through the Website and otherwise improve the services of the Company by:
▪ Helping the Company understand audience sizes and usage patterns on the Website;
▪ Allowing the Company to tailor the Website to Your preferences and interests; and recognizing You when You visit the Website multiple times.
Using and disclosing personal information
Use of Personal Information by the Company
The Company collects Personal Information to provide You with a secure, smooth, efficient, and customized experience through or on the Website or any content on the Website. The Company may use Your Personal Information to:
▪ Provide You with content, services, or products on or though the Website;
▪ Customize, measure, and improve the Website or content provided on or through the Website, or otherwise analyze or manage the Company’s business operations or Website performance;
▪ Deliver targeted marketing, service update notices, or promotional offers based on Your communication preferences;
▪ Send You things in the mail or through other channels, such as products or services that You have requested; register You for, or authenticate You when You sign into, an account or online services or when You purchase a product or service, or to provide You with notices about such accounts, subscriptions, or purchases;
▪ Otherwise fulfill the purposes for which You have provided Personal Information or that were described when such Personal Information was collected; or
▪ Carry out other purposes that are disclosed to You and to which You consent, or which are otherwise permitted or required by law.
The Company may combine all the Personal Information the Company collects, including Yours, in order to analyze and understand aggregate trends.
Sharing your Information
We share your Personal Information with third parties to help us use your Personal Information, as described above. For example, we may disclose Personal Information to third party payment processors to fulfill orders you make through the Site. We also use WordPress and Woocommerce to power our online store — you can read more about how they use your Personal Information here: https://automattic.com/privacy/. We use Google Analytics to help us understand how our customers use the Site — you can read more about how Google uses your Personal Information here: https://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/. You can also opt-out of Google Analytics here: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout. We also use Facebook Pixel and snippets of code from Pinterest to help us understand how customers use the Site — read more about how Facebook uses your Personal Information here: https://www.facebook.com/policy.php.
We may also share your Personal Information to comply with applicable laws and regulations, to respond to a subpoena, search warrant or other lawful request for information we receive, or to otherwise protect our rights.
If you enter and win a contest or other promotion, you expressly consent to Company providing your Personal Information to a third party that may provide the prize for the contest or other promotion, solely to provide you such prize and to Company publicly disclosing your name and the fact that you won the contest or promotion. If we will be disclosing additional Personal Information in connection with a contest or other promotion, we will disclose that to you in a separate notice prior to your entering the contest or other promotion. By entering such contest or other promotion, you expressly consent to such disclosures.
As described above, we may use your Personal Information to provide you with targeted advertisements or marketing communications we believe may be of interest to you. For more information about how targeted advertising works, you can visit the Network Advertising Initiative’s (“NAI”) educational page at http://www.networkadvertising.org/understanding-online-advertising/how-does-it-work.
You can opt out of targeted advertising by using the links below:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/settings/?tab=ads
- Google: https://www.google.com/settings/ads/anonymous
- Bing: https://advertise.bingads.microsoft.com/en-us/resources/policies/personalized-ads
Additionally, you can opt out of some of these services by visiting the Digital Advertising Alliance’s opt-out portal at: http://optout.aboutads.info/.
Other Disclosures of Personal Information
The security of Your Personal Information is important to the Company. The Company protects Your Personal Information by maintaining physical, organizational, and technological safeguards against unauthorized access, unauthorized disclosure, theft, or misuse appropriate to the sensitivity of such Personal Information. Personal Information collected by the Company may only be accessed by persons within the Company who require access to provide You with access to, use of, or content, services, or products provided on or through the Website.
Although the Company takes measures to protect against data breaches and unauthorized access to Your Personal Information, no company can completely mitigate the risks of such breaches or unauthorized access and no website is fully secure. The Company cannot guarantee that hacking, data loss, breaches, or other unsanctioned access of the Company’s security systems will never occur. Accordingly, You should not submit or otherwise provide Personal Information to the Company by any means if You consider that Personal Information to be sensitive.
Except as otherwise permitted or required by applicable law or regulation, the Company retains Personal Information only for as long as necessary for the purposes for which such Personal Information was collected. The Company reserves the right to use anonymous and de-identified information, including anonymized or otherwise de-identified Personal Information, for any legitimate business purpose without further notice to You and without Your Consent.
We are not responsible for the manner in which third parties use or disclose Personal Information collected from you through us after we have disclosed that information to those third parties. However, we do require third parties to promise not to use such information except as necessary to provide the relevant service to us.
Access and correction
The Company will provide You with access to Your Personal Information in accordance with applicable privacy legislation, and may decline to provide You access to Your Personal Information on the basis that such Personal Information is:
▪ Protected by solicitor-client privilege; or
▪ Part of a legal proceeding, government or regulatory investigation or process, or otherwise part of a formal dispute resolution process.
Where the Company is unable to provide You with access to Your Personal Information, reasons will be provided subject to any legal or regulatory restriction.
At this time, our products and services are not directed at or intended for people located outside of Canada. If you are a European resident, you have the right to access personal information we hold about you and to ask that your personal information be corrected, updated, or deleted. If you would like to exercise this right, please contact us through the contact information below.
Additionally, if you are a European resident we note that we are processing your information in order to fulfill contracts we might have with you (for example if you make an order through the Site), or otherwise to pursue our legitimate business interests listed above. Additionally, please note that your information will be transferred outside of Europe, including to Canada.
Do not track
Please note that we do not alter our Site’s data collection and use practices when we see a Do Not Track signal from your browser.
While we provide products for children, our website is not intended for individuals under the age of 13. The Company does not knowingly collect personal information from children who are under 13 years of age. Please immediately contact our Privacy Officer at one of the addresses noted below if you believe that World in a Box has unintentionally collected personal information from a child under 13 years of age. If the Company learns that it has inadvertently collected the personal information of a child under 13 years of age, it will use reasonable efforts to delete that information from its systems (except to the extent that retention of the personal information is required or permitted by applicable law).
If you are under the age of 13 you can browse our Website, but you cannot make a purchase. You also cannot become a registered user, or use any service that asks for personal information. Our site is not designed for children. We do not wish to collect personal information from children under 13. This policy is designed to protect children.
If you register with us and we discover that you are under 13, we will delete your registration information. We will send you an email message if we do this. If you are under 13 and want to make a purchase, please ask a parent or a guardian to place the order for you.
Contact information and challenging compliance