The Romans loved to decorate their homes and public places with paintings and statues. Mosaics were very popular too. Cubes of stones, pottery or glass were pressed into soft cement. Mosaic pictures might show hunting scenes, the harvest or Roman gods. Geometric patterns were popular and often used as borders.
We invite you to create your own Roman mosaic with us! We’ll be using paper not stones, pottery, glass and cement though 🙂
What you’ll need:
- construction paper
1. Sketch your design. We decided to create an olive tree.
2. Take your first sheet of construction paper and cut out a stripe.
3. Now cut it into small pieces.
4. Apply some glue to the sketch and start gluing your small pieces of mosaic (your tiles).
5. Repeat with different colours of construction paper.
6. Your mosaic is ready!