In the Philippines, a parol, which is a star-shaped ornament lantern, is displayed during the Christmas season. Let’s create a parol together!
What you’ll need:
- coloured paper
- tissue paper or crepe paper
- stapler or glue
- hole puncher
1. Prepare everything you need. Have the coloured paper cut into equal parts (we had 3 inches wide, 6 inches long). Tissue paper/crepe paper should be cut in squares.
2. Take a piece of coloured paper. Fold it in half.
3. Fold it in half again.
4. Make another fold, making a square.
5. Open your paper and fold a triangle at the top.
6. Make another triangle.
7. Fold the top part as shown, leaving 2 squares at the bottom.
8. Turn in over, make 2 triangles again.
9. Fold 2 flaps as if you were making a paper plane.
10-11. Now fold the bottom part half-inch thick until you have a figure like on the photo. Repeat steps 2-11 four times, so you have 5 figures in total.
12. Let’s assemble your parol! Insert the first tail into the folded part of another piece.
13. Turn over, flip the flap, and insert the second tail.
14-15. Repeat steps 12-13 with the rest of your pieces to complete our five-pointed star.
16. Now let’s add some tissue paper/crepe paper. Take your square, fold in half, making a triangle.
17. Fold again to make a smaller triangle.
18. Fold to make a shape as in the photo 18.
19-21. Now cut 6-7 alternate slits until you reach the top.
22. Open it up and pinch the centre, run it through your hand.
23. Use glue or stapled to assemble the pieces together.
24. Punch a hole at the top.
25. Add yarn.
26. Your parol is ready!